Friday, August 13, 2010

Norcross Scurry

Recap- Nate

I have never been to this race before, so I had no idea what to expect. When I was warming up, I was able to preride the first mile or so of the course. I was hoping the rest of the course would be similar since it was a very fun section. I managed to talk to a bunch of other racers to find out what the rest of the course was like. As a racer I know words can not describe any trail section as accurately as one would like, so the first lap would consist of winging it and hoping for the best.

The course narrowed down to singletrack not to far after the starting line. I knew a good start would mean a good race. I was able to get second into the singeltrack since everyone was in an all out sprint. I had a plan of just sitting on the wheel of the first place position for the majority of the race, and see where I could get some ground and pass there. Little did I know that place was all of a half mile into the first lap. The rider in first clipped a small stump with his back tire and went sidways on the course. I hardly managed to miss plowing into his rear wheel and dove around the outside. He was back on his bike by the time I got around, and I decided that the next downhill section would be a great place to put on a gap.

For the first two laps I put the hammer down and tried to pull away as fast as possible. The course switched back on itself multiple times, so I could see where every one was behind me. Unfortunately every one could see how far I was ahead. I didn't want the elastic to stretch out extra long just to snap back when they saw me around a set of corners. I wanted to just pull away and stay away. I was able to do that and come away with my first win of the season! I forgot the camera at my house so there is no picture for this post. Who would have thought!

The course was excellent, and I am not just saying that because I won either. The boyscout camp has some amazing singletrack. Most of it is very fast and twisty trails that have a lot of flow with not much climbing, but the descents are dragged out so they are fast and rolling. I am really excited to come back to this race next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment