Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Cycle Smart International Day 2


Nate-

After a hard day of racing the day before my legs felt pretty good, or at least during my prerace routine and warm up. I had analyzed my data the night before to see what I could expect out of myself on day number two and I did not think it looked too bad. I knew I would be tired along with every one else who raced the day before. This would not be as much of a race of fitness as the day before but more of a race to recovery from the night before. The course had some changes to it. There was one long sand pit, and not two short ones, and the uphills and downhills were reversed, along with the steep run taken out. The course was still very fun but I believe the course the day before suited me better.

I had the same strategy for the starting line and first couple of corners in that I wanted to be on the inside. This way when the group was going through the tight left hand chicane before the finish straight, I would not be blocked in and could make up a handful of positions. Also I wanted to avoid another crash if one were to happen. Fortunately there was no crash on the second day of racing. I think everyones' nerves where a bit better. I got a fairly good jump off the start and moved up the field from my tenth row start. I did not have the legs to keep up with most of the riders on the grass field, which I kind of assumed since that was my weakness from the day before. The group did not splinter as fast as the day before, which meant my strong part of the twisting turning woods section was no real help. Every one was inching through the corners as to not slide out, and I could catch the group ahead of me, but it was very hard to go around any one. I was able to go around a couple of people, but as soon as the course went back to the flat grass section they were able to accelerate around me in the straights. For one lap I was really hoping to ride up the one steep up in the course, but there were too many people around me to try. The sand section was a lot harder than the day before too. I was only able to make it through twice during the race.


This day was a day of experimentation for me in all aspects of my riding. I have never completed two races in a row like this, and have never encountered some of this unique cyclocross terrain. Overall my results were a little lower than I would have hoped for with a 75th out of 135 or so racers. On the other hand I have a whole bunch of data and experience that will be very valuable for next year when I plan to ride a full season.

It was a great set of races to have so close to home and the bike shop. The course looped back on itself many times so all of these sweet pictures could be taken by my girlfriend and aunt and all of the much needed moral support could be given. It was great having so many people at the race cheering the Competitive Edge Team on.

No comments:

Post a Comment