Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Pats Peak and 66 Recap - Nate


Pat's Peak is a race that I always look forward to because of the climbing and the fun and twisty descents. With the showers that passed through earlier in the week I thought the race would be a mud fest, but it was very dusty. I thought these dusty conditions would be great since some of the climbs can be a bit tricky in oxygen deprivation, and would become hike a bikes in the mud.

The first lap was absolutely horrible, but much better than last year. Last year I flipped over the bars on the first lap about five minutes in and also managed to destroy my front wheel, which ended my race with a nice big DNF. This year I took it easy through that particular corner and held my third place position that I fought for off the line. I figured I would sit here until the climbs really picked up then try to put some pressure on. The four of us in the front of the pack missed a turn and started to descend back to the starting line, when we were supposed to climb up some singletrack. It just happened that the first place guy was feeling pressured and was watching the trail, and everyone behind him was watching the wheel of the person in front. The rest of the pack went up the singletrack as we turned around and climbed back up the fire road to the part of the trail that we exited. The first four of us flipped positions, and were now at the tail end of the pack...All that work for nothing.

I had to bury myself to catch back up and I really suffered on that lap. I had no idea where I was, but decided to keep a good tempo and see what would happen. If people pass me, I would have to deal with it, or if I caught someone, hopefully the heat of the day drained them too and they do not have too much of a fight left in them. By the end of the third lap I was toast. It was a scorching hot day, and staying hydrated was a task in itself. I was going through a water bottle every half a lap, meaning that the second half the lap I could hope and wish, but my water bottle would not magically fill with ice cold water. On the third lap I managed to catch some one and passed them. I tried to pull away and fast, since I did not want to battle for position on a day that hot. I saw this rider catch up a little on the fourth and final lap but I put the hammer down early so I would not have to endure a last second sprint for the line.

I heard from my girlfriend that I was in third, and was really excited about that considering the events on the first lap. I fought off some cramps and a huge back spasm to get ready for the podium. The third place finisher was called to the podium, and it was not me. My heart went in my throat, and my only thought was that I finished fourth...Which was better than last year, but still a little bit of a disappointment. My name was then called for second place and I could not believe it. After a hard day and a huge mess on the first lap I was able to keep a cool head and climb up to second. Overall it was a great day with a great surprise at the end!


No comments:

Post a Comment